Blog

Colebrooke Church Bells History

Colebrooke Church Bells History There have been bells ringing at Colebrooke for centuries, in common with many Devon churches. Even a parish church as small as Colebrooke has supported, almost continuously, the numerous small expenses and occasionally large ones involved in keeping a ring of bells in working order. A large number of records survive which demonstrate to us the dedication with which, among all their other duties, our forbears took care of the bells which we still ring today. Read more...

Colebrooke Church History

Colebrooke Church History Introduction. Just under 50 years ago in the constant pursuit of fundraising for the upkeep of the Church, a little booklet was published priced 1/6d (71/2p) entitled “The History of the Church and Parish of St. Andrews, Colebrooke”. This excellent little book was researched and written by Rev. Vyvyan Hope M.A. F.S.A. Rev. Hope who at that time had recently retired from Radley College, was secretary of Friends of Exeter Cathedral and Cathedral Receiver. Read more...

Colebrooke Parish Hall History

Colebrooke Parish Hall History Miss Mary Pope with members of the Parish Council and Village Hall Committee Photograph of the official opening of the Village Hall in 1960 by Miss Mary Pope with members of the Parish Council and Village Hall Committee Left to Right: Miss Mary Pope, Mrs. F. Lowndes, Mr. A.C. Thorne, Mrs. L. Olding, Mr. E. J. Mock, Mr. E. H. Pennington, Mr. F. W. Read more...

Colebrooke Parish History

Colebrooke Parish History Colebrooke Parish THE MANOR Bishop BARTHOLOMEW, in his letter to King Henry II, c. 1170, claimed that “the town of Colebrooke has always from the beginning been, and still is, a part of the Manor of Crediton which belongs to the Church of Exeter and the Episcopal See”. Thus when the Domesday Survey was made in 1086, the manor lands were included in the Crediton totals without being named. Read more...