Blog

The Bell Inn Colebrooke

The Bell Inn Colebrooke Readers may be surprised to learn that the dwelling now known as The Old Bell Inn was an inn for a relatively short period. The original public house of that name was situated in what is now the NW corner of the churchyard. According to 17th and early 18th century, churchwardens accounts it was then known as The Church House and appeared to be in constant need of repair. Read more...

Cob Buildings

Cob Building Cicely Fox Smith OLD cob wall Have falled at last; Us knawed he might A good while past. Great-grandad he Built thicky wall With maiden earth And oaten straw. He built en in The good old way, And there he’ve stood Until to-day. But wind and rain And frost and snaw Have all combined To lay en law. Read more...

Coleford Police Station

Coleford Police Station Before being moved to Copplestone during the 1920s, Coleford had its constable for over 60 years. Initially, when the Devon Constabulary underwent a significant overhaul in 1856, a guideline was introduced whereby a constable would be provided to look after an area based on acreage and population. This resulted in most parishes gaining the services of a constable. Jesse Snell, a shoemaker from Kilmington, was Colebrooke’s first PC and c1860 was living at Colebrooke with his family. Read more...

The Great Flood of Coleford 1841

The Great Flood of Coleford 1841 In November 1841 the bottom of Coleford was devastated by floods. After a vestry meeting chaired by Mr Robert Madge of Copplestone House, the following appeal appeared in the Western Times. Severe Loss in The Great Storm In consequence of the great fall of rain which occurred on Monday the 29th of November great damage was done in the village of Coleford. The water rose to such a height as to overwhelm workshops, stables, cellars, and a great part of some dwelling houses, some of which were levelled to the ground. Read more...